According to the Royal South Australian Almanack 1840, many Christian denominations were already well established with large congregations.
By far the biggest was the Episcopalians with 600 worshippers.
Their Trinity Church had cost 1,000 pounds to build and a further 1,300 pounds spent to enlarge it.
In 1840 they were erecting another church, St John's, in Gilles Street.
Next in number were the Wesleyan Methodists, 550, and the Catholics, 300.
Neither the Catholics, the Baptists nor the Scotch Presbyterians had their own churches.
The former met in a private home, and the latter on the Park Land, opposite the Trinity Church.
However, the Presbyterians, with their minister from the Secession Church in Scotland, were erecting a church in Victoria Square.
The Congregational Independents formed 'a large and respectable body' worshipping at North Terrace and erecting a new chaple at Gawler Place.
They had raised 600 pounds by subscription for the new chapel which was estimated to cost 2,600 pounds.
The Society of Friends (Quakers) still had no place of worship.